Live Like a King
I discovered a very interesting list a while ago, detailing the ten duties of a king:
- The ruler should not have craving and attachment for wealth and property, but should give it away for the welfare of the people.
- A high and moral character.
- He must be prepared to give up all personal comfort, name and fame, and EVEN HIS LIFE, in the interest of the people.
- Honesty and integrity. He must be free from fear and favour in the discharge of his duties, must be sincere in his intentions, and must not deceive the public.
- Kindness and gentleness. He must possess a genial temperament.
- He must lead a simple life, and should not indulge in a life of luxury. He must have self-control.
- Freedom from envy, ill-will, enmity. He should bear no grudge against anybody.
- Non-violence, which means not only that he should harm nobody, but that he should try to promote peace by avoiding and preventing war, and everything which involves violence and destruction of life.
- Patience, forbearance, tolerance, understanding. He must be able to bear hardships, difficulties and insults without losing his temper.
- Non-opposition, non-obstruction, that is to say that he should not oppose the will of the people; He should rule in harmony with his people.
I found it very interesting, that while all these things were embodied and exemplified by Jesus more than anyone else in history, the list was written by a simple man, about five hundred years before Jesus was born. That man was in fact Buddha.
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. John 10:16
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. John 8:58
Jesus is called the King of Kings, which means that every one who believes in Him should also behave like a king or queen.
This list could then be entitled, 'The Responsibilities of a Man or Woman of God'. Are you able to respond to those around you as a king or queen of the Kingdom of Heaven? Are you able to serve your duties to the utmost of your ability, even if it means sacrificing your comfort, or even your life?
"Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the son of man has no place to lay his head." Matt. 8:20
For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many. Mark 10:45
Copyright © 2014 Carl (Little John) Painter